Ex 38 - Marine Safety (Low complexity duties) Exemption
This is an AMSA approved training course for people who want to operate as a Coxswain in a limited capacity (near coastal).
One day training for people with limited maritime experience
Half day training for people with RPL and/or industry experience
No final AMSA oral examination required for certification
What can I do with Exemption 38?
Exemption 38 is for limited maritime operations that undertake low complexity duties with operators having the following restrictions:
- Operate during daylight hours
- Command a vessel < 12m long and operate propulsion power for an inboard engine < 100kw (130hp) or outboard engine < 250kw ( 335hp)
Carry passengers only in the following places and areas:
- Marina operations and mooring areas, in sight of the marina
- Inland waters
- Any waters in a tender or auxiliary that are within 1nm from a parent vessel and in sight of and in communication with the parent vessel
- Any other waters approved by the national regulator
Without carrying passengers only in the following places or areas:
- Places and kinds of water as per 'Carry passengers' above
- Smooth waters, including inland waters
- Any waters within 1nm from point of departure and within 1nm of the coast
- Any waters of an aquaculture lease approved by a state or territory authority, and any approved waters used for the daily transit to and from the aquaculture lease for operation under this exemption
- Any waters within 250 metres of a structure fixed to the shore
- Sheltered waters within 2nm from the coast
- Tow persons only in the following area and situation:
- Any waters that are waterski areas approved by a state or territory authority, with or without passengers and
- The vessel has propulsion power, for an inboard and outboard, <500kw (650hp)
All you need to know is contained in these AMSA documents:
Limitation and conditions for Ex38 (Recognition of low complexity duties) Training and assessment criteria.
When can I start operating?
Once you have successfully completed the Final Practical Assessment Record you can commence operations under Exemption 38
(Low complexity duties).
There is no requirement for sea time or a final oral examination.
What to bring
All applicants need to have a qualified medical practitioner / optometrist test their eyes and complete the Eyesight Test Certificate form which can be found here on the AMSA Website
Australian Drivers Licence or current passport
All participants must adhere and accept the Sea School terms and conditions.
Attend an external HLTAID011 'Provide first aid' course, or bring your current 'Provide first aid' statement of attainment or similar certificate.
Work or casual clothes, no thongs.
This course is not nationally accredited.
Please contact us for more information.