Extended Range Foundations
Curious about technical or extended range diving, but don't have the required prerequisite training?
Consider enrolling in the SSI Extended Range Foundations program-
SSI´s Extended Range programs form a bridge between Recreational Diving and Technical Diving. They are designed to allow you, the recreational diver, the chance to enter the exciting world of Extended Range/Technical diving, without necessarily having to dramatically change your existing diving philosophy.
The intent of the Extended Range Foundations program is to provide divers with a workshop environment, to improving your skills to higher levels, using Extended Range Total Diving Systems and procedures.
Because all dive sessions take place in our exclusive, indoor heated training pool, many divers start their Foundations course in the winter months, ready to continue in open water- when spring arrives.
Your Extended Range instructor will show you how to master fundamental technical diving skills including:
- Tech diving signals
- Greater buoyancy control methods
- Fin Propulsion techniques
- Decompression and stage cylinder handling
- Emergency procedures
- How to use Jon Lines
- Deploy an SMB from depth
- Learn the difference and use Spools and Reels
- Use a Lift Bag as an emergency buoyancy device
- Develop greater situational awareness/team diving
You can use any cylinder configuration;
- Single cylinder with sling tank
- Side mount cylinder/s carrying configuration
- Back mounted double cylinders with dual isolator manifold
- Horizon SCR configuration
- You will be certified for the configuration used.
- Minimum age 16 years
- Open Water Diver certification
- Have logged at least 24 dives.
Required certification to use the following gear configuration
- Recreational Sidemount specialty
- CCR certification
- SCR certification
Desirable but not required training
- Enriched Air Nitrox
- Deep Diver
The number of classes, hours and sessions, based on student needs and student ability
Four pool sessions to accrue an accumulated 240 minutes
You will also follow up with a boat dive to practice your skills in a real world environment.
All dives must be completed using one of the following configurations:
- A complete Extended Range Nitrox Total Diving System
- A complete Extended Range Total Diving System.
- A complete Extended Range Side mount Total Diving System.
All training dives must be completed in confined water.
Requirements For Completion
- Complete academic sessions and assessments as outlined in the Extended Range Foundations Instructor Manual.
- Complete an Extended Range Foundations equipment configuration session.
- Additional optional training dives are permitted.
- Complete a water skills evaluation as outlined in the General Standards.
At the recreational level:
- Use either an Extended Range Nitrox or Extended Range Total Diving System.
- Demonstrate the ability to maintain trim at +/- 30 degrees throughout the entire program.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform all skills adequately with little shift in buoyancy or trim.
At the Extended Range Diving level:
- Use an Extended Range or Extended Range Sidemount Total Diving System.
- Demonstrate the ability to maintain trim at +/- 15 degrees throughout the entire program.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform all skills perfectly with almost no shift in buoyancy or trim.
Completing the Extended Range Foundations program means that the student has demonstrated good trim and buoyancy control in the equipment configuration used, during the program. Plus they have successfully passed the Extended Range skill circuit.
Statements of Attainment for the following nationally recognised Training Units of Competency under the Outdoor Recreation Industry Recreation Training Package (SR003) on all our Openwater courses by completing these additional requirements
SROODR002A Plan outdoor recreation activities
SROODR002B Plan for minimal environmental impact.
A small additional fee applies.